Frequently Asked Questions
How will I find out how my child is progressing?
- Written reports and learning portfolio - these are sent home in Term 2 and 4.
- Parent-teacher-student conferences - these take place in Term 2 to discuss the report and portfolio. Parents, teachers and students all have a role in the conferences.
- Meet the Teacher Evening - this takes place in Term 1. It is an opportunity for teachers to discuss the key aspects of the class learning programme so the school and home can work together to support the student's learning.
Special Interviews -
- If you wish to meet with the teacher during the year, please contact the teacher at the school office to arrange a convenient time.
- Teachers will contact parents during the year if there is a school and learning matter to discuss.
What are the school hours?
- School starts at 9.00am. Classrooms are open and supervised from 8.15am.
- Interval is 10.20 - 10.40 pm.
- Lunch is 12.30 - 1.25pm.
- The day ends at 3.00pm.
- The bus leaves at approximately 3.10pm.
What do I do when my child is absent?
- In case of sickness please call the school office before 9.00am and notify the office of your child's absence.
- If you are planning a holiday in school time; attending a medical appointment; or taking part in age group or national sporting events, participating in a cultural event - a letter to the Principal is required prior to the period of absence.
- Please ensure your child is at school on time and keep non-sickness absences to a minimum, so valuable learning time is not lost.
Does the school have a uniform?
- Aka Aka School has a compulsory school uniform for all students which must be worn every day.
- Sunhats must be worn in Term 1 and from Labour weekend in Term 4, or at the discretion of the Principal.
- Uniforms are available from the school office.
- Information from the Uniform policy is included in the school newsletter regularly.
- Please name all items of clothing.
- A lost property box is located beside the school office.
How do I find out what is happening at Aka Aka School?
- Weekly newsletter - every Wednesday
- Class newsletters
- Talk to the Principal or teachers
- Ask at the school office.
How can I support and help the school?
- Talk to your child about what they are learning at school.
- Assist and support your child with their homework- reading, spelling words, basic facts.
- Offer your help at sports events, school camp and class trips.
- Offer your help with PTA and school events, such as Calf Club Day, school picnic, fun run evening.
- Parent help in classes and around the school - give your name to the main office.
- Participate in school and PTA fundraising activities.
- Support the school by paying school donations - this allows the school to maintain and buy extra learning resources for your child.
- Please contact the school if you have a question, query, concern - refer "Meeting with School Personnel" page.
Student safety at Aka Aka School.
- The Board and school has responsibility for ensuring the school is a safe environment for your child.
- Your child is expected to follow the school philosophy and school rules by behaving, learning and relating to others in a safe and responsible manner e.g. we expect children to be STAR students at all times at Aka Aka School - STOP
- School boundary - students are required to stay within the school boundary during school hours.
- Students leaving the school during school hours must do so through the main office.
- The school has responsibility for your children and provides superivison between 8.15am and 3.15pm. Outside those hours, parents have responsibility for their child's safety.
- Classrooms are open between 8.15am and 3.15pm.
- Emergency evacuation procedures are practised every term.
- Cycling to school - parents must forward a letter to the Principal stating that the parents take full responsibility for the journey to and from school.
- All medication must be handed to the main office.
Does Aka Aka School have school donations?
- Yes. School donations are a voluntary payment - you may claim the donation on your tax return. School donations contribute significantly towards the 'extra' resource for your child's learning and our school community - the government funding covers a 'basic education only'.
- We request families to contribute a school donation of:-
- $60.00 per year per child
- $90.00 per year for two children
- $110.00 per year for three or more children
Enrolling your child at Aka Aka School.
We welcome all primary school-aged students (Year 1 - 8) to Aka Aka School. We operate an unrestricted zone and encourage you to pre-enrol your child and participate in pre-school visits prior to your child turning five.
For all enrolments at Aka Aka School, a completed enrolment form is required. Please bring the following documents to school when enrolling your child.
- Birth Certificate
- Passport & visa (if not a NZ resident)
- Home, work, emergency contact numbers
Please ensure you inform us of:
- Any custody issues relating to your child. The school requires a copy of any legal documentation if one parent/caregiver or family members are prohibited from contact with your child.
- Changes to address, telephone, emergency information, email contacts - we need to be able to contact you at all times in case of an emergency for the safety and well-being of your child.
Lunches at Aka Aka School
Aka Aka School has a lunchroom which operates on Wednesday and Friday. Aka Aka School endeavours to provide healthy food options with the Heart Foundation tick and food identified as "everyday" and "sometimes" food items.
- Mince Pie 180g
- Mince and Cheese Pie 180g
- V Chips - Chicken or Sour Cream and Chives
- Hot Dog
- Butter Chicken Wrap
- Macaroni Cheese
- Chocolate chip cookie